Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Welcome!

Hello there!

My name is Ashley and I am a senior Magazine Design major at the University of Missouri. The past four years here in Columbia have absolutely flown by; I don't even know where to start but I supposed a little background info would be good. I am from Omaha, NE, and yes, Joe and I are Husker fans. I love traveling and do so often. I have recently become a bit obsessed with the city of Las Vegas, having been spoiled on two VIP trips in the last 9 months. I am one of those people who is constantly on the go, and likes to have a hand in everything I can.

I have known that I wanted to work in the magazine industry since my junior year of high school. We were fortunate enough to have lots of generous donors who made it possible for not only amazing facilities, sports and resources, but also a yearbook, weekly newspaper, spring literary art magazine and a monthly TV show. So I jumped into journalism very early on. When I first started applying to colleges I was hoping to go to school on one of the coasts. Although born a midwest girl, I am not one who wants to stay in the midwest. When I was told that the best journalism school was in Missouri, my heart sank a little bit. Obviously I would make the smart decision and apply, but moving 4.5 hours away didn't seem far enough. Once I made the move though, I never looked back.

Mizzou, and this college town dubbed "CoMo", turned my world upside down. I have met amazing friends, worked with unbelievable professors and have definitely made sure to experience college night life.

This semester is the most important ever. I am not only completing my capstone in magazine design, but I am also designing for the Columbia Missourian, completing my minor in Information Technology with an emphasis in Audio/Visual Editing, working with a group to develop a working iPhone application for a local company and taking a photo class (for non-majors). I hope to not only improve immensely upon my design skills, but to also walk away a very well-rounded journalist.

Let the journey begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment