Wednesday, May 4, 2011

FINAL post! Week 15

CRITIQUE:


This week I was apart of the feature design team working on the Careers issue. It was a bit of a roller coaster process to say the least, but once it was all figured out we had a good handle on our vision and went straight to work. I was in charge of designing the psychological profiles feature. This was an interesting challenge because there were four stories, one of each featuring people in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 70s. I needed a concept that related the different stages in a persons life, particularly with their careers. I went with this arrow concept and changed it around quite a few times. The color palette also changed about three times. Ultimately we decided to use the colors Tanya used on her cover, which worked really well with my spread.






RESPONSE:


Well, what can I say, the journey is over!!!!! It has been amazing four years, and one lesson that I will always take with me: the best days are the unplanned ones. Try not to get too caught up in all of the work and seriousness. Life is just as much about enjoyment, friends and experiences as it is about working hard.

This poster says it all for us designers!







YOU CAN'T MISS...


Book cover designs are probably one of the hardest things to do (at least I assume.) We have to summarize a story or a feature package into a design - these have to summarize an entire book! As my friend and I discuss what books we are putting on our summer reading list, I came across this blog that features 30 beautifully designed book covers.


Side note: at the top of our reading list is Chelsea Handler's latest book, The Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me. If you've never read any of her books and love humor, crudeness and hilarious stories you will love all of her books. I highly recommend them.

Here are some beautiful book covers though:






No comments:

Post a Comment