Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Week 7

CRITIQUE:

This past week we embarked on our "20/5" challenge: logos. Our assignment was to create 20 logos for the Sports Journalism Institute. It is a national sports journalism organization that helps women and minorities in the newsroom. Obviously the main goal of a logo is to visually stimulate a viewer and convey the whole entity of what the organization stands for. WAY easier said than done. Finding an image that reflects sports and is easily integrated with an image that reflects journalism is very challenging. I found the best solution was to focus on typography.


After receiving critiques from my fellow designers and brilliant teacher and TA, I have narrowed the logos from 20 to five. The biggest concern is incorporating diversity into our logos. That is the main point of the organization so the next challenge is figuring out either a visual or stimulating colors that portray this message. The logo in the first row, second from the left, with the baseball flying through it was favored the most. It is my favorite as well. I was told that it shows action really well, which is great for the sports image. Suggestions I received for improvement include trying different typefaces, making the baseball just a colored ball and working with the colors (diversity, diversity, diversity). I would love suggestions!


RESPONSE:

On Monday I had the amazing opportunity to sit in the MU iPad conference all day and hear from editors, art directors and social media gurus from Wired, National Geographic, Men's Health, ESPN, Better Homes and Gardens and Popular Science. It was inspiring and exhilarating to hear about the opportunities and developments between magazines and the tablet world. Every group told us what they know, how they've attempted applications, what they think about the future and how in reality it is still a complete guessing game for each and every one of them. 



I also have the opportunity to develop an iPhone app and formulate an iPad app prototype for a magazine supplement this semester. Learning more and more about this field is fascinating and I am starting to expand my search for application development opportunities. I have always been a gadget guru, wanting the newest and greatest. Jumping into this tablet application development world would be such a great experience and I want to be in the center of these changes and discoveries. I am so fortunate to attend the MU journalism school and be able to participate and attend events such as this iPad conference.


YOU CAN'T MISS...

A scrabble redesign found on GOOD!

 

Andrew Capener created this redesign last year while studying at BYU. His version allows you to use all one typeface or mix-and-match. He eliminated the clutter on the board and went with these sleek colors. If I was a design junkie AND scrabble nerd I would definitely be hunting for this (unfortunately I find the game fairly boring). The design is beautiful though!


5 comments:

  1. The scrabble game is fantastic! I'm a fan of Scrabble, though I can only take so much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your logos turned out really good. You have a nice variety of designs. The one with the baseball flying through is my favorite as well. The action you created really makes it stand out. I like the last one on the second row too. The S treatment with the name on top is a nice touch. I did something similar. I think it looks clean and professional.
    The scrabble redesign is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great design. I don't play much Scrabble, but I would if I had this game board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun Scrabble game! I wonder if the board is magnetic. Such a typographic and word-centric game deserves some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Scrabble game is really fun. I love the use of different typography for each letter. Design has definitely helped me to be more aware of typography. It was after I watched the documentary "Helvetica" for the first time that I truly became conscious of typography, and now when I see things like this scrabble game, I can appreciate it even more.

    ReplyDelete