Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Week 8

CRITIQUE:


My second cover competition is currently underway. We are designing for the food feature, which covers all of the local food challenges in Columbia. There are giant burgers, loaded breakfast plates, spicy wings etc. Coming up with a studio shoot, an illustration and a photo cover is very difficult but it was a really fun challenge for this particular topic. I had more than 3 ideas but this is what I decided to present. (Please keep in mind these are rough first drafts just showing my vision!)




This last one is the cover I will be revising for Thursday's critique. It will be a studio shoot of leftovers/half-eaten food on a plate. Then I will do some editing in Photoshop with text underneath. It should be really fun and eye-catching if it all works out correctly. Any suggestions would be appreciated!


RESPONSE:


The greatest thing that has seemed to go on in the last week is the tragedy that is still continuing in Japan. I was up that night on my computer and saw the early tweets about the earthquake and tsunami. I watched the live streaming of the tsunami just rolling across the land. It was the most surreal and tragic thing I have ever seen, and I can't even imagine what it is like there right now. My mom has a good friend who lives in Tokyo and he was stuck at his office for almost two days not knowing if his wife and kids were alive or safe (which they are!). It just puts everything into perspective and it's sad that major tragedies like this have to remind us that bad days are really not that bad. Stress is not fun, but it's not the end of the world. Pulling an all-nighter is rough but you will survive. My life seems to be all design right now in this moment, but design is not life. It's a fun part of my life.

I did stumble on this campaign called Font Aid V: A Call to Action. The Society of Typographic Aficionados is accepting submissions and will compile them into a typeface to benefit the earthquake and tsunami relief in Japan. The typeface would be used on all fundraising materials and would help unite the world as it unites to help Japan.

The Font Aid project began in 1999 with the first project benefiting UNICEF. It has since campaigned for the victims of September 11th, victims of the Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunamis and the earthquake in Haiti. Hundreds of designers have made submissions and joined the cause.

So cool.


YOU CAN'T MISS...


On a lighter typeface note, we watched this fun video in my news design class this week. It is amazing what you can do with words. Some of you might have seen it before, but it was my first time!

1 comment:

  1. I like all for you cover for food! among all i especially like the last one. the first one is nice but such style has been used a lot already. But the last one deals with the concept in a creative way! and the design is powerful!

    ReplyDelete