Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Week 11

Yes, I skipped week 10 because it was spring break; and unfortunately I was on a cruise in Mexico without internet; and unfortunately I have returned with a nice tan. Sorry 'boutcha :)


CRITIQUE:


Not much has gone on in the last two weeks. We had an in-class critique of our prototype Plaid Dad. That was pretty harsh, but very much needed. Our team has since discussed all of the criticism and suggestions, developed a new plan and we are moving forward. Those changes will be posted next week.

Upon returning from my long vacation, I headed straight to the magazine office to design departments. It was a pretty standard layout, but I am very happy with the turn out. There were no real challenges except working with spacing (as always). I was called back for a last-minute switch of stories in the recurring section. The art director felt the Cage the Elephants story was more important than the album review. I thought it would just be a quick copy/paste, but I had to do some re-working because the photo switch went from vertical to horizontal.



All in a day's work.


RESPONSE:


For our photo assignment over break, I took pictures every day of lovely things I saw while on vacation. Here are a few of my favorites in terms of inspiration...

Depth and dimension

Repeating elements

Color

Simplistic yet beautiful

Typography can be found everywhere!



YOU CAN'T MISS...

I stumbled upon these pictures on the "All that inspires me" blog. They are from a post by Terry Border:

"I always knew that my weird point of view was my gift or perhaps curse, so I'm glad I finally found a use for it," Terry says. "As far as getting ideas, I simply try to amuse myself. I look at objects and wonder what they remind me of and then I create a sort of story about that. I have a good sense of humor. I like to laugh but I can't tell a joke to save my life."



3 comments:

  1. Super jealous of your trip! Looks like you found a lot of type even on your cruise. I love the colors! It looks so bright and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't have to critique on week 10 b.t. dub. But it looks like you had a super fun trip and the pictures are awesome. I love the boat pic before boarding. It reminds me of titanic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the found typography for the Corona Beer container. Looks like an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete